Saturday, August 25, 2007

The sexists on the bus?

From purplelizzy on the Livejournal community alternparents:

"Once a week I take my nearly 3 year old to a mother & toddler group. At the end everyone gathers arounjd in a circle to do a few "songs & actions." One of the favourite songs is the Wheels on the Bus and at this group the way they sing it, it has a verse that goes:

The mummies on the bus go chatter chatter chatter
Chatter chatter chatter
Chatter chatter chatter
The mummies on the bus go chatter chatter chatter'
All day long

The action that goes with is one commonly used to indicate someone who is talking too much.

Now is it me or is this ridiculously sexist in this day and age? I'm not someone who is out to ban nursery rhymes like Baa Baa Black Sheep or anything like that but a song that teaches kids that mummies talk too much seems a little over the top to me."

I found this quite amusing. I've never heard this before when anyone sung this song. I admit I think it is a tad bit sexist, but it was probably meant innocently enough.

0 comments: